sᴇᴄʀᴇᴛ-

ATIQAH. TWENTYONE. EXOSTAN
REPLACE W/UR PROFILE





© Template by AtiqahJaidin
Image from TUMBLR | WHI
Lesson 4 : Basic Vocabulary 2
Oct 16, 2013 | 0 comment[s]



Click Here For Free PDF Of This Lesson

Hello !!! Arthur Kembali Untuk Kelas Bahasa Korea . Untuk kali ni , Arthur masih lagi pakai  post How To Study Korean. Maksudnya , dalam Bahasa Inggeris . Kalau tak faham , boleh tanya kat komen box ataupun cbox !!

Vocabulary
The vocabulary is separated into nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs for the purpose of simplicity:
Nouns:
나라 = country
가방 = backpack
창문 = window
잡지 = magazine
방 = room
냉장고 = refrigerator
개 = dog
강아지 = puppy
고양이 = cat
쥐 = rat
펜 = pen
전화기 = phone
커피 = coffee
식당 = restaurant
건물 = building
텔레비전 = television
미국 = USA
캐나다 = Canada
호텔 = hotel
학교 = school
은행 = bank
안 = inside
위 = on top
밑 = bellow
옆 = beside
뒤 = behind
앞 = in front
여기 = here
있다 = to have
있다 = to be at/in a location


Adverbs
Verbs:
In Lesson 1 you learned the simplest Korean particles. To review, you learned:
는 or 은: used to indicate the subject (or main person/thing) in a sentence.
를 or 을 :used to indicate the object in a sentence.

For example, in this sentence: I ate a hamburger
I is the subject of the sentence
Hamburger is the object
Eat is the verb
A new particle to learn in this lesson is  or . These particles are identical in meaning to eachother, but:
When the last letter of the last syllable of a word ends in a vowel, we use 가 (소파가)
When the last letter of the last syllable of a word ends in a consonant, we use 이 (책이)
What I am about to say is very difficult for English people to grasp. When I started learning Korean, it took me months to understand this, and it was not because it was difficult. Rather, nobody explained it to me in a way that allowed me to understand. I’ll do my best to explain it to you.
When a part of a sentence is not the main clause of a sentence, we use 이 or 가 to indicate the subject of that clause of the sentence. Let’s look at some examples:
I ate a hamburger
This sentence only has one clause. Therefore, we do not need to worry about using 이 or 가. If we wanted to write this sentence with Korean structure and particles, we would write:
I는 hamburger를  ate
I listened to music
This sentence only has one clause. Therefore, we do not need to worry about using 이 or 가. If we wanted to write this sentence with Korean structure and particles, we would write:
I는 music를 listened
But, in this example:
When my mother ate a hotdog, I ate a hamburger.
In this sentence, there are two clauses. The main clause of the sentence is you eating a hamburger. “When my mother ate a hotdog” is simply indicating when you ate a hamburger. So, “when my mother ate a hotdog” is not the main clause of the sentence.
If we wanted to write this sentence with Korean structure and particles, we would write:
My mother가 hotdog를 ate when, I는 hamburger를 ate.
Let’s look at another example:
While my mother cooked vegetables, I listened to music
In this sentence, there are two clauses: The main part of the sentence is you listening to music. “While my mother cooked” is simply indicating when you listened to music. Therefore, “while my mother cooked” is not the main clause of the sentence.
If we wanted to write this sentence with Korean structure and particles, we would write:
My mother가 vegetables를 cooked while, I는 music를 listened.


있다 (to have)
Korean verbs are actually very easy to understand. Unfortunately, the three most difficult verbs to understand are the three most common verbs. These three verbs are:
이다 = to be (which you learned in Lesson 1)
있다 = to have
있다 = to be in/at a location
It’s not that these three verbs are difficult, but rather that they are irregular compared to most other verbs. You learned in Lesson 1 that 이다 acts as an adjective in Korean. 있다 (to have) also acts as an adjective in Korean.
Why is this important?
You learned in Lesson 1 that sentences with adjectives cannot have an object in them. Thus, you cannot have a word with the particle 를/을 attached to it when there is an adjective in a sentence (because 를/을 indicates an object in a sentence).
If this weren’t the case, we could do the following:
I have a pen
I 는 pen을 있다
저는 펜을 있다  = I have a pen
BUT, remember, 있다 acts as an adjective, so we cannot have an object in that sentence. How do we get around this? Simple! We just use 이/가 instead of 를/을 in sentences with 있다. I said earlier that 이/가 are used to indicate the subject of a part of a sentence that is not the main clause of that sentence. That is true, but 이/가 are also used to indicate the thing that you” have” (i.e. when using 있다). Let’s look at some examples:
저는 펜이 있다 = I have a pen
저는 차가 있다 = I have a car
저는 잡지가 있다 = I have a magazine
저는 가방이 있다 = I have a backpack


있다 (to be at/in a location)
The thing that makes 있다 so difficult is that it can also mean “to be at/in a location.” In Lesson 1 you learned about the particle 에 in Korean. This particle is used to indicate the place and/or time of something in a sentence.
For example: I am at school
If we wanted to write this sentence with Korean structure and particles, we would write:
I는 school에 am at
저는 학교에 있다
Notice the very big difference (in meaning) between these two:
저는 학교 있다 = I have a school
저는 학교 있다 = I am at school
We can also use position words to indicate specifically where something is:
I am in front of the school
I 는 school in front에 am
저는 학교 앞에 있다
Notice that the position word is placed after the place you are talking about:
학교 앞 = in front of the school
사람 뒤 = behind the person
집 옆 = beside the house
저 건물 뒤 = behind that building
Lets make some sentences:
저는 학교 뒤에 있다 = I am behind the school
저는 학교 옆에 있다 = I am beside the school
저는 은행 안에 있다 = I am inside the bank
개는 집 안에 있다 = The dog is in the house
고양이는 의자 밑에 있다 = The cat is under the chair
저는 캐나다에 있다 = I am in Canada
식당은 은행 옆에 있다 = The restaurant is next to the bank
호텔은 학교 옆에 있다 = The hotel is next to the school
Not too difficult! I think the first lesson was much harder than this lesson. These earlier lessons might seem hard because they are 100% foreign to you. I assure you, if you keep studying, this will be as natural as… well… something really natural.
 
CREDIT